Anahim/Nimpo Lake BC Header Photo
Chilcotin Waterfront Resort and Motel advertising banner
Woman in a canoe photo.
 Welcome to Anahim Lake & Nimpo Lake, British Columbia
  Business Directory

Back to Daily Blog
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
November 2009
December 2009
Week 2-4
2008 Articles Starting With Last Week of December 2008
2007 Articles Starting With Last Week of December 2007
2006 Articles Starting With Last Week of December 2006
2005 Articles Starting With Last Week of December 2005

Wilderness Adventures - Dec., Week 1/2009

This is about a remote area in west central British Columbia, Canada called the West Chilcotin. Surrounded by numerous glacial mountain ranges, alpine lakes teeming with wild Rainbow Trout, and full of wildlife. Living here goes from no running water or electricity to spacious log homes with all the conveniences and without the smog!
If you would like to see pictures of wildlife, mountains, lakes, exciting snowmobiling, events and more, and read stories like 'Lake Monsters' about the Lakesounds just go into Archives on the lower left side of this page.

Rolling over an image will give you its description.
Check out the Picture of the Day.

07/12/2009 8:05 PM


Our cold spell has continued as predicted. The mercury hit -29.4C or -20F yesterday morning and even though it was a glorious sunny day, it never got above -14C or 7F, and that was in the sun. Yesterday evening we watched the mercury drop at about the rate of 0.1 degree every couple of minutes for a while. I don't know if I've ever seen it drop that fast before. It hit -32C or 26 degrees below zero Fahrenheit by the time I went to bed last night, although Andy said it was slightly warmer than that when he got up. I understand it was -34C or nearly 30 below at Anahim Lake this morning, so they were slightly colder than we were, but that's normal.
The lake sounds have been fantastic, of course. It really sounds off at night as the surface of the ice gets colder and colder, and then during the day when it starts to warm up again. I really should be out there with my new recorder, but it's too cold. I'm holed up in the house and that's where I plan on staying, peeking my head out of the door only occasionally. Thank heavens Andy likes the cold! He and the dogs have been going for walks in the morning, and he spends a good part of the day puttering around outside including getting wood today. We've lots of wood for the downstairs stove, but I couldn't get warm today to save my soul, even though it climbed to -12C this afternoon. Maybe it was because it clouded over and there was no sun. It looked grim outside and even Andy said it felt raw out there. So I started a fire in the upstairs fireplace. I'm sure we could have burned the regular wood in there, but Andy looked on it as good excuse to go fall a tree and buck it up into longer blocks, then put it through the splitter. Of course, while that all sounds easy, in weather like this, it's a lot more complicated doing anything than it normally would be. First you have to thaw out the chainsaw in the basement, and then you have to thaw out a quad so that it will start. That means covering it with a tarp to hold the heat in, and tucking a heater under the tarp for a while, then moving the heater under the tarp on the wood splitter to warm it up. In the meanwhile, it obviously wasn't too cold for a dog adventure. The dogs had been let off their lines while Andy was outside but when he stepped into the house for a minute, River decided to go for a jaunt and took Cat with him. That meant Andy had to go looking for our dogs while the equipment warmed up. This is a bad time of year because now the dogs can cross the lake ice to go visiting as River is wont to do any time he gets the opportunity. Andy drove around to Nimpo but never was able to find them. Finally, Lane called from up at the store a couple of hours later to report that she had caught up both of them when they showed up to play with their buddy Pluto. So that means River is in jail, yet again.
Richard and Leah went out snowmobiling today with young relatives that are up visiting for a few days. Richard went out yesterday as well and I think he finally got cold for the first time in his life. He said they left Ptarmigan Flats too late in the day so that when they came back through Goat Pass, it was getting miserably cold. And it's true that once that sun set at four, the mercury just plummeted. He said that they had to stop every few miles, open up their hoods and warm their hands and gloves over the heat of the engines, because it was so cold, the hand warmers on the bars didn't even feel like they were on. We all noticed that last winter when we took Mr. Wilson up on the mountain for the last time. Once it reaches a certain temperature, you just can't feel heat from the hand warmers anymore.
After last year's sojourn, there is just no way you would catch me going up on the mountain in these temperatures. First of all, sledding to me should be fun, not miserable, and secondly, I consider it dangerous. If anyone were to be injured to the point of being immobilized, they would suffer hypothermia very quickly. There's quite a difference between going up the mountain at -25 versus -10 or -5. Besides, it's just so much harder on your machine running it in really cold temperatures. But, hey! If you're young enough to go play in the cold and enjoy it, then do as you please.
Richard asked Andy last night if he thought it would be safe to run across the back bay on snowmobiles this morning on their way out because it would save them time not having to go around. Andy figured it would be all right but since he hadn't tested the ice yet, there were no guarantees. Sure enough, sometime near eleven we could hear the kids' machines cross the bay. At least they left later so it had warmed up to about -20C. I expect they may have run into snow higher up today. A low pressure system moved down through the central interior of BC from up north, and brought heavy cloud with it. From here, it looked like it might be snowing over the mountains this afternoon. I sure hope it moves out. I don't care about the cold temperatures if the sun is shining, but it sure makes it raw if it's cold and cloudy. Besides, the house doesn't warm up during the day as much without all that sunshine streaming through the windows, so it takes more heat to get it warmed up through the evening.
Duke stopped by today and said he was up flying yesterday. He says the Main Arm looks to be frozen over with good, clear ice and asked when the lake froze over. He was surprised to hear it froze after the last snow, because of course, Anahim Lake froze over weeks ago. It's great to hear we've good ice out there, anyway. There was a lot of overflow on the inner bays around here and the ice was formed out of that slush. But these cold temperatures will freeze that down pretty solid and the Main Arm will be building good quality ice at a great rate right now. With any luck we'll get a foot of good ice before the next snowstorm.

05/12/2009 8:08 PM

The Scavengers

The first thing I did after getting up yesterday morning was peer through the binoculars. Trust me, it was with very mixed feelings that I looked across to where the loon should be and didn't see him. On the one hand, I would liked to have seen him alive and still swimming, but on the other, I was relieved to see nothing. There was no sign of him anywhere near the pond or in my field of view, so I thought perhaps he took one last swim under the ice and just didn't come up. That's what I hoped, anyway.
Andy and I had to meet friends from Charlotte that will be going back to Switzerland for the winter up at the coffee shop for lunch and so the loon was gone from my head for the moment. At least until the proprietor mentioned that she wished she had a pair of binoculars in the shop because often she could see something out on the lake but not determine what it was at that distance. She pointed out vague figures on the ice but it was so far away that I guessed it might be Trumpeter Swans, but it was only a guess. When Andy pulled up in the parking lot a few minutes later, I asked him to bring his binoculars in from the truck when he came in. We had to wait a little while for the condensation to dry out since they froze up as soon as they were removed from a cold truck into warm air, so we sat and visited in the meanwhile.
I had forgotten about the glasses, but Andy hadn't. He checked through them and then stated that what was out on the lake was at least three bald eagles and they were probably eating my loon. Of course I jumped up to check and sure enough, at least two mature eagles, one immature, and possibly a fourth behind were grouped up and scavenging something on the ice. It was certainly in the vicinity of where my loon had been but it was difficult to tell from that distance and a different angle from our place, just how close it was. That made me a little unhappy. It meant my loon had probably been alive at least until that morning.
As soon as I got back home I glassed from our dining room window where I had been watching that loon for what seemed like days. Nothing. All looked calm and white. But as soon as I stepped over a few feet, I thought I could see a disturbance in the snow through the boughs of a spruce tree in front of the house. I had to go out on the deck to see in the direction I would have been looking from up at the coffee shop in Nimpo.
A little to the west of the loon's pond you could see two long tracks of disturbed snow going at an angle toward the far shore. Not far from the shore the snow was thrown up every which way. I didn't look any longer. I didn't need to. The loon had half flown, half run over the ice just as he had a couple of days before when he tried to go airborne, but maybe couldn't get as high this time. Because I'm certain that's what the long marks were that extended for between 50 and a 100 feet. He must finally have decided he could no longer keep his prison open and maybe after the previous incident out in the open, felt the heavily treed shore would offer cover from the eagles. He must have made his break after daybreak though, or the eagles would not have known nor would they have been on him so fast. A mature loon is a heavy bodied bird and too heavy for an eagle to pick up I think, which is why I'm sure it will have been an eagle that killed the loon. If it had been a fox, lynx, or coyote waiting on the shoreline, it would have carried the bird back into the woods to get it away from the eagles and ravens. Nope, I think I can fairly lay the blame on those lousy, stinking eagles. The worst part? It's doubtful the loon's death will have been a quick one, but with any luck he messed a few of them up first before they killed him. I'm glad I didn't notice him in the morning when I suspect he might have still been alive and possibly fighting for his life. I'm sure, foolishly, I would have been trying to figure out some way of getting over there, thin ice or not.
Yesterday was a mixed day. Quite nice when the sun was shining but by afternoon it had clouded over and everything was pretty dull.
I had watched the wind shifting from one direction to another, first from the east, then south, then north. East generally means outflow winds and can be damned cold.
This morning the temperature was just short of -26C or -15F after plummeting all night. The sun has been shining all day with gorgeous blue skies everywhere except for just behind the mountains. Still, it never got above -10C or 14F today, sun or not, and if a breeze did raise the flags a bit, it was from out of the north.
There is a massive high pressure system pushing right down from Alaska driving cold arctic air before it. Our temperatures are expected to get colder as the week progresses with some seriously frigid temps predicted even for Vancouver, particularly when you take the wind chill into account. Oh well, that'll mean blue skies and good ice forming on the lake.
Last night the lake was groaning, mumbling, and shoof'ing with an alien spaceship sound thrown in for good measure every once in a while as it cooled down. Today it also made a fair bit of noise, particularly this morning when the sun started warming the surface of the ice a little.
Some of the guys were going to go out snowmobiling again today. I assume they went but I can tell you that I certainly had no intention of freezing my butt off at that temperature this morning, and Andy wasn't any too enthusiastic about it either. Mind you, he hasn't been overly enthused about snowmobiling at all since he blew up his machine last year, but none of us normally get too worked up about going out much before Christmas anyway. There's generally just too much to do before then for one thing, and the days are just that much shorter, so it doesn't leave a lot of riding time during daylight at this time of year at all. January is usually pretty nice but February is probably my favorite month to ride. It's nearly always sunny, usually a lot warmer, and the days are longer.
We both also agree that Lloyd Wilson no longer being about has really affected both of us. Lloyd was the first to take me up on the mountain when I started riding, and I think he led Andy as well when he first came into this part of the country. Lloyd was the expedition leader for so many years, even though he didn't lead much toward the last, that it's never been the same since he's been gone. Lloyd has probably led just about every sledder new to the country up on the mountain for the past twenty or more years, considering it his duty to make sure every newcomer got to see the stunning winter view from on top of Trumpeter Mountain.
So many 'rules' more or less came into being because of Lloyd, most of them good ones: Lunch must be at twelve. Down off the mountain and back on the lake by four because his birds (wild chickadees) would be getting hungry. If someone got stuck, everyone in the vicinity was expected to wade through snow to help get them out. We must always follow that trail or this, and never, ever leave any trace of our passing behind in the form of garbage. Drinking was discouraged or kept to a maximum of one beer, but actually rarely occurred at all. And while these rules may have made him seem mild mannered, he certainly wasn't in his riding, getting more than one bunch of riders in a jackpot that could take hours and a lot of sweat to get out of.
Of course there were the other foibles. He loved new people on the ride but that often meant that if we stopped to count heads, he would get to talking and talking and the day would have wasted away had one or the other, usually Henry, Andy or I, not started our machine and taken off to keep things moving. Still, it was a habit that hung on tenaciously and over the course of the years the stops seemed to become more and more frequent. And really, it's not such a bad thing to be sitting on your machine lazing in the sun, drinking in spectacular views and conversing with your sled mates. Truly, I'm positive snowmobile trips with Lloyd were close kin to sitting out on a verandah in a blossom scented evening in the South, passing the time of day with your neighbour from down the road. And though we're so fortunate to have young people and new friends from the Charlotte Lake bunch join us now, there was something from those trips with Lloyd from years past that can no longer be replaced......

03/12/2009 8:52 PM

The Death March

Yesterday morning I got up and after learning the temperature hit -20C or -4F again overnight and looking at a smooth white expanse of ice, I declared Nimpo Lake officially iced over. Andy said, "Not so fast. There's still birds out there." I'm like....What?? An otter had broken away from the big island and went humping across the ice toward the point just as fast as his little legs could take him, and through the glasses, you could see birds behind him.
Using my glasses and Andy's spotting scope, we finally determined that there were for sure, two loons and two smaller birds of some sort, paddling furiously back and forth in a small patch of water. The best I could figure was that it was probably no longer than ten or twelve feet, and though impossible to determine how wide it was from side to side, it for sure wasn't very because the birds were passing each other quite closely.
Oddly enough, on Tuesday morning before the water froze over at the point in the afternoon, I saw the small group of birds through glasses but didn't think much of it. I guess I just assumed that they were on a bit of open water and would fly out when their little pond started to freeze over. So I was shocked to still see them in the same spot yesterday morning after such a cold night.
By the way all four paddled back and forth, either they were extremely cold and trying to keep warm, or they were trying to keep the ice open and judging from their actions, I would say the latter. It was strange watching them because they would paddle past each other, turn around, and go in the other direction. It was like a constant conveyor belt of four birds, although the loons seemed a little more vigorous than the other two smaller birds. I couldn't imagine what it must have been like paddling like that through the long, cold night and watching them doing it in daylight was like watching a death march. Because unless they left, they were going to die. And since there was a bald eagle keeping an eye on them from above, it was not going to be a quick, painless death.
I would glass the mini flock periodically whenever I passed by the dining table, and as the day warmed up, all the birds slowed their paddling and the loons started diving, presumably for breakfast. I worried that they would dive horizontally rather than vertically and not be able to find the small opening again, but they didn't seem to have a problem. They actually seemed to relax as the sun warmed them and probably the water they were in so I was surprised at about 11:30 to see that suddenly there were only three birds. There were still two loons and the smallest bird, but I had no idea what had happened to the fourth. Had he dived and not found his way back up? Had an eagle gotten him? Or had he flown away? I hoped it was the latter and took it for a good sign.
I had to go up to Nimpo and as soon as I got back in early afternoon I returned to my vigil. Now there were only two birds. One loon and the very smallest. What didn't make sense to me was if the birds could fly, why hadn't they left sooner? I watched the smallest bird closely, noting that it was moving less and less. The loon kept going up to it which seemed strange if it was a different species of bird as I had first thought. Then I saw the little bird rear up on his tail and flare his feathers just like a loon does. It had to be a baby!! Maybe the other had been a baby loon too but not nearly so small as this little guy? And maybe his size had allowed him to take off from that small puddle and later the bigger loon had done the same? My hopes were raised and I figured that's what happened until watching through the glasses a little while later, I realized that might not be what had occurred.
I had just picked up the binoculars yet again to see what was happening when I saw the loon take a run across the water in an attempt to take off and watched him crash chest first into the ice at the other end of his small prison. He slid back into the water and sat for awhile before resuming his paddling. It was still warm in the sun but starting to cool down, and now, often when I checked through the glasses he was making shallow dives and standing on the water stretching his wings. I would have to keep my glasses on the little bird for a long time before I would see enough movement out of him to know he was still alive.
With only an hour of light left at most and it cooling down fast, I picked up my glasses in time to see the loon stretching his wings and diving with a lot more purpose, much like a runner just before a marathon. I wondered if something was going to happen. Suddenly, the loon came from the very back of his pond, wings outstretched and splashing water just as hard as he could as he ran. He made it past the edge of the water and was just airborne only a couple of feet above the ice. I was yelling, "Go, go, go!!!!" as he beat that air just as hard as he could. About seventy feet away he crashed in a heap, unable to sustain the effort required to get the air under his wings that he needed for flight. He sat stunned on the ice for a little while and I was afraid his wet feet would freeze to the ice if he stayed too long. Finally he turned himself around and was facing back toward his tiny pond again. Suddenly he started to half fly half run back toward the pond, almost rolling over on himself on the ice. I realized why when I saw a bald eagle come swooping in from down the Main Arm. The loon must have seen him too because he made a last mighty dive for the water, just making it as the eagle skimmed past. And that was the end of it.... It was almost as though the heart had gone out of the loon after that. I checked on him off and on until dusk when I could no longer make him out, and he was just calmly sitting in the water as though he had resigned himself to whatever fate awaited him. To be frozen in rather than take his chances out in the open on the ice.
I kept watch on the temperature all night before going to bed. Surprisingly, it never went much below the evening temperature of -14C or 7F when it had been -19C the same time the night before. I held out some hope that it being a little warmer might help two birds to keep the water open when there had been four, but I doubted it, especially since the little bird hadn't moved around much for the last few hours in the afternoon.
When I got up this morning, Andy said, "Check your loon out." And sure enough, he was there. He was alone. The little bird was gone, but the loon paddled passively back and forth in his pond that seemed to have shrunk significantly from the morning before. I don't think it was any longer than six or seven feet.
I checked on the loon off and on all day but at least tried not to be quite so fixated about it. I had lots of work to do yesterday that didn't get done and while you feel you have to keep vigil for a creature that you know is going to die, knowing that and watching it is not fun.
I checked on the loon one last time just as it got dark and he was still there, a dark spot in a sea of ice. It's only five degrees below freezing this evening, much warmer than it has been, so he just might make it through another night. It must be exhausting to paddle all night long, though. If he could keep it up for another few days to a week, the ice would probably be thick enough for us to make a try for him. But the temperature is supposed to literally plummet for the next week and there is no way he will be able to keep his little puddle open by himself through cold like we just had this week. In a way, I wish he would just take a swim under the ice and not be able to find the opening on his return. It would be a lot easier on him than being frozen alive into the ice for the eagles and the ravens and he's way too far away for us to be able to shoot him.
When I first saw the four birds I assumed that there was the two loons, and perhaps one of those black ducks we get in the fall and maybe the smallest bird was a grebe or merganser. But those were definitely two very large loons so it doesn't even seem all that likely that they were this year's brood. And after watching the actions of the other two birds, I really have to wonder if this wasn't a set of loons that lost their first babies this year and had a second set or perhaps they were quite young and their babies were really, really late. I can't see any other reason why two loons would stay on the water until they simply ran out of water to take off of. One injured loon I could possibly see, but two seem very unlikely. It makes sense that it was a pair of loons that refused to leave their young ones behind, or didn't know better. Judging from the actions of the last loon, it doesn't seem very likely that the other loon was able to take off while I went up to Nimpo. There just wouldn't have been enough water. Maybe it got caught under the ice but who knows? Andy said he heard a loon today but it didn't sound like it came from the direction of our lost soul. Instead, he said it sounded like it was more overhead. Maybe the other one did get off and made it to the Dean where the river exits the lake and is doing flyovers. There's still some open water there although there won't be for long if it gets really cold. The whole thing sure is sad to see.
I know that it's nature's way of culling out the birds and animals that aren't survivors, and it's true that for a loon to get caught here this late, it's probably best. Still, you have to give credit to birds smart enough to know that they have to keep paddling all night to keep the water open.
There's certainly nothing stupid at all about the bald eagles. They know what's up and they're patient. I guess that's what Mother Nature is all about.
A few of the guys went out snowmobiling yesterday. They said it was the best they had ever seen it and since no one had been ahead of them so far this year, they got all fresh powder to carve up. My neighbour sent me a bunch of pictures that I'll post here.
He writes:
"Up the Mountain today. The Alpine was chest deep powder throughout the meadows. No one needs to go up there anymore - we carved up all the good ones! Conditions were excellent and we climbed to over 7,000' to clean the ice and snow off of the Nimpo radio repeater tower. Bill, Richard, Logan and I took the trip today. No damages except for a couple trees that Logan was insisting move away from our trails. I think those trees have learned their lesson and shouldn't be a problem any longer.
Each and every one of us worked until we did get stuck at least once. Richard and Logan both struck trees near the top of the Hill while Bill managed to stick at the bottom. I dug and pulled. I finally managed to lean over too far while carving in the meadow and dug a hole that required help to get out. I needed the rest anyway!
Many locals have informed me that they haven't seen snow in this quantity since the early 90's. The Mountains above 2900m have what seemed to be 20cm of fresh powder over a 1m base of heavier snow. Perfect conditions as we saw no open creeks and when carving the meadows tipping the sleds did not encounter any resistance between layers of snow. The Sunshine was warm and above zero temperatures in the Alpine, where we spent most of the afternoon enjoying our day. My Uncle Stu once described his big bore Arctic Cat sled as a Cardio-vascular exercise machine and I agree with that. Don't ever get old, get a snowmobile instead! Even the trails from house to house down here at Nimpo Lake are covered in 30-40cm of snow."

Yesterday was truly a glorious day with sunshine and clear skies all day and it actually made it very near to freezing in the shade. Today wasn't quite as nice because we had some cloud moving in and out with that system that's dropping down from the north. It will be pulling down arctic air and after it's gone, it looks like clear skies for some time. Oh, and very, very cold temperatures. About the only benefit to that will be that the ice on the lake will freeze quickly and hopefully improve the 'slush' ice in the bay. Andy drilled it today and there's seven inches and up just offshore.
A full moon for the last three nights lit things up so brightly that I'm sure you could have read a book by the light. It helps that everything is covered in snow of course. This will be a blue moon month with another at the end of December. It will be perfect for lighting up the Ice Party on New Year's Eve!

01/12/2009 1:39 PM

Big Snow. Plummeting Temperatures.

Boy, are we getting whacked with winter in a big way! It rained through most of Saturday night and into Sunday morning. It wasn't really a rain or even a drizzle. It was just sort of spotty but steady. By afternoon the rain turned to snow. It snowed right through the evening when Andy decided to go out and clean off the deck because it was such heavy snow. He took off more than three inches and he had to clear the satellite dishes because the receiver on the television was losing connection with the satellite and the satellite for our Internet connection was also buried under wet snow.
Fortunately, the temperature finally dropped about three degrees below freezing overnight and the snow got a little drier. It was a good thing, because I measured another six inches of snow out on the deck in the morning when I went to clear it. That gave us a total of at least ten inches that fell.
I figured with that heavy, wet snow Sunday evening that the power was going to go out and it did. Fortunately I was reading at about midnight when it went. No bumps, no nothing. Just out. I was just thankful I wasn't watching television at the time because the outage might very well have blown it. We at least have backup batteries on our computers so that's the first thing I did after scaring up a flashlight was to go around and shut down both computers. We were without power for 16 hours or until four the next afternoon, so Andy fired up the generator and we kept water, fridges and freezers running throughout the day until the power came back on. Then we lost our phone for a few hours so we ran up to the store to call that in. It seems this time it was only North Nimpo and Nimpo Creek Roads that had power outages, but since that's most of the population around Nimpo Lake, it still affects quite a few people. Since it was over 13 hours after the power went out to the time the Hydro guys got to Anahim Lake, I expect they had their own set of issues in Bella Coola. If they got any of the snow we did, it will have been a mess, not to mention how bad getting up the Hill might have been.
I spent a good part of yesterday on the wrong end of a shovel while Andy spent most of the day on the Bobcat trying to clear the yard and our driveway. The snow was so heavy and slippery that he was having a tough time pushing it and got stuck once. Then we realized that there was way too much snow stuck to the top of our canvas garage and managed to get it punched off, but not before it stretched the canvas and bent the poles a bit. I got some of the snow off of our greenhouse, and we'll just have to watch the cabin roof and the roof over the holiday trailer to see if the snow slides off of them. Not that it will happen very soon now the way our temperatures have dropped.
After a long day shoveling snow we finally got to play in it. We took two sleds back and forth over the back trail to the gun range to pack the snow down. I took the dogs for a walk yesterday but had to stick to the road for the most part because it was a real slog through snow on the trail. Since it was sitting just below freezing yesterday when we packed it, the tracks should be frozen in hard now making for great walking. Mind you, that may not be the case. Richard and Leah came by on their sleds late in the afternoon bearing a bottle of Baileys to go in the hot chocolate we usually make for them. I made them promise that they would go back over the trail slowly so as to keep it packed and not chew it up but I don't know if they will have remembered.
Boy, was there ever a lot of young pine trees bowed over the trail that had to have the snow shook off them and propped up when we made our first pass through. Some will never straighten up again after the first heavy snow and then this one. Still, a few might make it if it warms up. Right now in our yard there's between 20 and 24 inches of snow settled on the ground, but I think there's a lot more than that in the woods. Sledding in the fresh snow is like riding on cotton candy!
If you look at the one picture up on the right where our lawn is surrounded by a log fence and covered in snow, it looks like a giant layer cake with icing that dripped over the sides. Walk in there and you'll be up to your knees in snow!
Richard warned us that we had a cold snap coming so I kept an eye on the thermometer last night. It dropped hard and fast to -14C then came back up to -12C so I figured all of the mist off the still open lake would blanket us in and keep it from getting much colder. That theory only works as long as there's mist. It would seem that most of the lake froze over last night and this morning Andy watched the thermometer dip to -22.3C or 8 below zero Fahrenheit. This morning I could just see a thin streamer of mist coming up off the Main Arm, but it there is only a small line of open water there at most with another bit of open water off the point. However, with one more cold night, I think the lake can be officially called frozen over if it wasn't already by this afternoon. We're already at -15C or 5F this evening so I expect it to get down as low tonight as it did last night. It looks like there will be a high pressure system over BC for at least one more day. Then it may break down for a day or so, then another is expected to build in. That's okay with me! Today was a true winter day with brilliant sunshine reflecting off snow laden trees and sparkles everywhere. The sky was clear and blue, and this evening you could see that special lemon color on the horizon of our winter skies. This kind of winter I can handle!
Last week's articles can be found at November Week Four .
Just a last word of note. Jeanette, a local lady in Nimpo Lake, lost another son yesterday, this time to bad road conditions and a nasty corner coming back from Farwell Canyon. Our condolences go out to her and her family. Her loss will affect many in the community but none more than her.

The purpose of this web site is to draw attention to a remote area of west central British Columbia. It is a beautiful area that relies heavily on tourism. The search engines don't know much about the West Chilcotin, Anahim Lake, Nimpo Lake or any of the other small communities in the region and I hope to change that! Even as large as this site will eventually be, there just isn't enough room or time in the day to fully describe this incredible country but I am going to try scraping away at the tip of the iceberg, so join me!

Follow the links, and see what the West Chilcotin is really like!
Snowmobiler carving in deep snow and gets stuck.
Putting a snowmobile in the trees.
Belly pan and skis above photographer.
Sled going through deep powder.
Black snowmobile in snow.
View of Nimpo Lake and trees covered in snow.
Deep snow covers everything.
This web site designed by Vector North Web Design